Don’t forget, my giveaway is still going on!!!!! I’ll pick a winner tonight. For more info click here.
Ellie and I had a REALLY good day yesterday. We organized the toys in the living room (honestly did we need 12 Barbies with accessories, 9 different Disney Princesses, an Olivia playset, and a whole Strawberry Shortcake village in the living room when we have a finished basement/playroom?) ate leftover fish and veggies (!!!!! yes, both kids!!!!!!) for lunch, and ate a super healthy snack.
But, I’m not here today to talk to you about good for you things. Although, by my calculations, what I am about to show you came in under 400 calories (it’s all about portion size!). I’m here to talk to you today about pancakes. Chocolate chip pancakes. With a dulce de leche drizzle. (If you need a recipe for father’s day breakfast in bed… just saying.- Bryan)
I was blog stalking again last night and came across this post on From the Bookshelf: a recipe for homemade Dulce de Leche, which was so incredible easy, that there is no reason not to have this in the house at all times.
I know everyone has a “go-to”pancake recipe, but this is the one that I keep coming back to (mostly because my kids WILL eat them and they freeze well)
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Kid Favorites Made Healthy
- 1/2 c all purpose flour, 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have any on hand, this is what I do- in a liquid measuring cup add 1Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice, and fill to one cup mark with milk- I use n0n-fat. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes- Voila- buttermilk)
- 2 tsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients
- After “buttermilk” has set for 5 minutes, add the egg, oil, and vanilla right to the measuring cup (this limits dirty dishes 🙂 )
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry and mix until just incorporated
- Heat a large pan or griddle and spray with cooking spray.
- Drop batter by Tablespoon full (see… portion size keeps the calorie count down) onto hot pan (it’s hot enough when you flick water onto the surface and it dances around) and cook on one side until bubbles rise to the surface. Flip and cook about 1 minute more.
I added about 2 Tablespoons of Ghiradelli’s mini semisweet chocolate chips directly to the batter -you don’t need a lot of chocolate to get the flavor. This amount gave me about 5-6 chips per pancake which was just perfect.
Layer three pancakes with about 1tsp of your dulce de leche in between. Melt a Tablespoon of topping in the microwave for 10 seconds and drizzle over the stacked pancakes. Top with a few chips or some rainbow sprinkles.
If you don’t feel like making your own breakfast, and you live near a Max Brenner feel free to go there! Just be prepared to eat your days worth of calories in one meal (NOT saying it wouldn’t be worth it -OMG that place is amazing!) This is what Bryan had for brunch when we went about a year and a half ago:
Question…. do you want to see more recipes and other miscellaneous things, as opposed to just cookies? I love, love, love baking and decorating cookies, and have no immediate plans to stop, but I can’t always make enough to keep you in interesting blog posts and photos. But I DO cook at home most nights, and I love to play around in the kitchen… experimenting with ingredient substitutions and taking pictures as I go along. I also enjoy finding crafts and DIYs and trying them out with Ellie. Just a thought, leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
And don’t forget the giveaway ends tonight! Click here for info. And even if you don’t want to enter, please check out PrayersLoveAndJoplin. These two very talented cookie ladies are still looking for contributions for their online bakesale/auction.
Enjoy your Sunday!