My baby girl is five today!!! And, yes, she is still my baby girl. *Sigh* Where does the time go?
(Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens- Kid Favorites Made Healthy)
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice added to 1 cup (less 1/2 tbsp) milk or skim milk and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add egg white, oil, and vanilla to the buttermilk and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Mix until incorporated.
- For Birthday Pancakes, fold in a few tablespoons of jimmies-sprinkles-whateveryoucallthem.
- Drop batter by the tablespoon onto a hot pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- When small bubbles rise to the surface, flip the pancakes and cook a minute longer.
- Pile three on a plate and top with whipped cream and mini chocolate chips or jimmies-sprinkles-whateveryoucallthem.
Homemade whipped cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Pour cream into the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Whisk on high until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar and whisk for a few more seconds.
I was soooo tempted to use my favorite buttercream frosting on the pancakes (after all, how many birthdays does a girl get in a year?) but at the last minute ,I decided to act like the grown-up.
I will be back later to share her birthday cupcakes and pictures from her party, but right now I have to go get ready to go to the Discovery Museum. We’ve got a fun day planned!!!!
I linked this post up to Wonka Wednesdays at Hugs and Cookies XOXO and Show and Tell Saturdays at Be Different Act Normal